The Rotary Club of Bombay was formed on 19th March 1929..
Of the 38 charter members of the club in Bombay, 37 were non-Indians. The only Indian was Sir Phiroz Sethna, a legislative member, who later served as District Governor (1937-’38).
After Rotary Club of Bombay was chartered, Rotary movement grew in Gujarat, Maharashtra and nearby areas.
It also grew in other Indian States as well as in neighboring countries.
Between 1929 till 1970, these clubs were structured in various zones & districts several times to accommodate the growth of Rotary movement worldwide.
Then, RI District 314 came into existence on 1st July 1970 with a membership of 1702 in 34 clubs.
Previously, the clubs currently in District 3140 were in the District 890, 920, 540 and 315 according to the dates on which they were admitted to Rotary International.
At its February 1982 meeting, the Board of Directors of Rotary International reorganized the Rotary Clubs in India according to the revenue districts.
District 314 comprised the revenue districts of Akola, Amravati, Bhandara, Bombay, Buldhana, Chandrapur, Jalgaon, Nasik, Thane, Wardha and Yeotmal.
Effective 1st July 1990, RI District 314 was reorganised to comprise the revenue districts of only Bombay & Thane. There were sixty-three Rotary Clubs in this District.
Thereafter the District 314 was renamed as District 3140
Rotary District 3140 is the largest district in the world with 148 Clubs and 7,500 members. District will be bifurcated in to two districts from 1st July, 2016… District 3141 (Mumbai Revenue district) and 3142 (Thane Revenue District).